Match reports

match reports

13/9/15: Thetford Bulldogs v WTUFC U19s 6-3.

The U19’s began their season away at Euston Park against a Bulldogs team new to the league in an exciting game that they can think themselves unlucky not to have taken something from.  Wymondham had some good early spells especially down the right flank where Joe Evans was causing problems for the Thetford right back.  It was Thetford who struck first though when a long punt up field wasn’t dealt with resulting in a one on one for the Bulldogs’ striker who fired home.

Wymondham didn’t take long to reply; Ronny Kay had already introduced himself to several of his opponents and briefly spoken to the referee following some full blooded challenges but the next twist came as he himself was on the end of a heavy challenge inside the area which gave the official no alternative but to award a penalty. Kay dusted himself down before stepping up to dispatch the resulting spot kick coolly into the bottom left corner.

Thetford were ahead again in a frantic opening 20 minutes as a near post corner and missed header caused confusion inside the 18 yard box resulting in the ball being bundled home from close range.

After this first period the game settled down a little and Wymondham looked to maintain possession for a sustained period constantly putting the Thetford back four under pressure with the pacey Evans and Matt Thresh down the left wing looking dangerous.  Finally James Huxtable had a shot blocked and several Joe Mills corners later the scores were level once more as Huxtable found room to lay the ball off for Harrison Cheal to tap in with an instinctive finish.

Just when it looked like the visitors may go on to take control of the contest it was an instant reply from the home team as they scored following a quick move down their left almost directly from the restart.  Then again, as the whistle was about to blow for half time, it was their left midfielder causing problems for James Hardyman at right back, using good skill to cut inside before placing the ball into the far corner past the despairing dive of Ryan Gotts in the Wymondham goal.

A few changes at half time saw Henry Felton replace John Moore in central defence and Josh Francis was introduced with Nick Carton into midfield as Evans moved to the central striking role with Thresh and Huxtable given a chance to recharge their batteries. Craig White added experience to the back line replacing Hardyman on the right.

Second half was less hectic than the first, the Wymondham back four taking a battering as Thetford looked to use their long ball tactics more often as they now attacked down the slope.  On a couple of occasions this tactic worked when indecisions between defence and goalkeeper were punished by alert strikers obviously used to this approach.

Wymondham continued to look the more composed on the ball and kept going as the game became stretched with each interception immediately launched forward by the home side. There was just enough time for Kay to finally find his way into the referee’s book before the reintroduction of Thresh and Huxtable on the wings brought greater impetuous to the visitor’s attacks. Before long this paid dividends as first Francis shot narrowly wide following a cut back from Huxtable, then Evans crashed a header into the post before heading a subsequent centre home at the second attempt following a good block from the Thetford keeper.  The keeper was again called into action tipping two good Wymondham efforts over as the visitors finished with a flourish.

All in all it was a good first game for the U19’s, the new coach would have been pleased with the way they looked to get the ball down and play if not with the final result.  Plenty of positives to build on in coming weeks.

Team: Gotts, Hardyman, Spinks, Moore, Payne, Kay, Thresh, Mills, Cheal, Huxtable, Evans.

Subs: Carton, Felton, Wright, Francis, Chilleystone.

13/9/15: WTFC Ladies v Fakenham Ladies 3-0.

29/8/15: WTFC Ladies v Roade Ladies 6-2.

Wymondham Ladies welcomed Roade Ladies to Kings Head Meadow for their first competitive game of the season, in the Frist Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, sponsored by Ashton KCJ Solicitors. Roade Ladies play in the Northamptonshire County League and finished second in their league last season.

Wymondham started brightly and were the more positive in the early exchanges, but Roade were looking dangerous on the counter attack. Following a Wymondham attack in the 14th, the ball broke and Roade countered quickly, finishing in a well taken goal to put the away team ahead.

Following the opening goal, Roade looked the brighter team and were searching for a second goal; however, Wymondham started to settle and retain possession a little better, resulting in more chances, including a shot cleared off the line from a corner. It took until the 38th minute for Wymondham to equalise, with high pressure resulting in a snap shot from Laura Hammerton, who curled it past the goalkeeper, who failed to get a strong enough hand on the shot to stop it going in.

Half Time Score: Wymondham 1-1 Roade

Wymondham started the second half, and had the ball in the back of the net within 30 seconds after Kayleigh Holloway crossed for Sally Hammerton to tap in. This was the reaction manager Alex Guy was looking for from half time and Wymondham increased their lead in the 53rd minute when another cross by Kayleigh Holloway resulted in a headed goal from Sally Hammerton to double her personal goal tally for the day.

Just past the 70 minute mark, Wymondham used their substitutes to good effect and with changes to formation, they made sure they would be in the next round of the cup with further goals from Laura Hammerton, Louise Rout and Laura Wiseman, who scored on her debut.

With Wymondham pushing forward and looking to increase their goal tally further, Roade hit Wymondham on the counter attack in the 94th minute when a long ball caught the Wymondham defence out due to the bright sun and the attacker finished smartly to get a consolation goal.

Player of the Match: Kayleigh Holloway.

29/8/15: Hindringham v WTFC 1st Team 1-2.

WTFC 1st Team travelled to Hindringham again this week but in Senior Cup. After last weeks result against the same side Town were in a positive mood that they would progress to next round. Dom Frost was back from illness and Leon Brock was back from suspension. Connor Howett and Craig Page were also available so the squad looked very strong.

Town started the game well with Liam Moriaty getting in on goal at will and their keeper pulling off some great saves. The defence once again looked strong and Hindringham didn’t looked liked scoring. After 35 minutes Liam was pulled back in the box and Charlie Blake coolly tucked away the resulting penalty. 1:0 at half time.

After the break Town made a change taking off a injured Connor Howett and replacing him with Leon Brock. As last week the 2nd half started very slowly and after 55 minutes Town gave away a penalty which Barrie Franklin saved only to be told the penalty had to be retaken, the 2nd penalty was scored. After that Town started to play again but once again their keeper pulled off some great saves to keep the score 1:1 at full time. The match then went to extra time.

After a few choice words from the Manager, Matthew Bradley, the team came out in extra time with all guns blazing. They got their reward with a great goal from Leon Brock from 25 yards. Town spent the rest of extra time camped in their own half but the back four stayed strong giving them a 2:1 win and a spot in the next round. Man of the match was Damian Artherton.

22/8/15: Hindringham v WTFC 1st Team 0-1.

Wymondham Town travelled to Hindringham hoping to put the disappointment of the Tuesday evening’s heavy defeat firmly behind them.

Town still had five players unavailable through injury but such is the depth and commitment of the squad this season that they still managed to field a very strong team.

Town started well with fast flowing football which led to three clear-cut chances that they did not take advantage of. Town were persistent though and got their reward on 35 minutes when, after a flowing move down the left hand side, a pin point cross was met by captain for the day Tommy Salmon who rifled the ball in to the roof of the net.

Town then played with complete composure to keep the 1-0 advantage at half-time.

Town started the second half in a sluggish manner but thanks to a great defensive performance Hindringham were reduced to speculative long range efforts. Manager Matt Bradley introduced his first substitute on 65 minutes and that seemed to prompt Town into action. They spent much of the remainder of the game in the hosts’ half and created many chances but unfortunately were unable to take advantage of any of them. At the final whistle Town had gained their first victory of the season after the midweek loss to Bradenham and the abandoned first match of the season at home to Sheringham.

Town could and should have won this fixture by many more goals but the victory has kick-started their season. Man of the match was Tommy Salmon.

It’s as you were again this Saturday as Town once more travel to Hindringham in the first round of the Norfolk Senior Cup. This Saturday at the Kings Head Meadow Wymondham Town Reserves take on Bungay Town Reserves (2.30pm).